Here’s James Yorkston’s beautiful Woozy with Cider (I used regular American cider, but I think you could use hard cider, too. Hmmm…I’ll have to try that!)
1 1/2 sticks butter (3/4 cup)
1 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup golden syrup (rare in America, I know, but I found it in my extremely ordinary grocery store. I think you could maybe substitute maple syrup or honey if you can’t find it)
1 t. vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 t. salt
1/2 t. baking soda
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/4 t. powdered ginger
1/4 t. allspice
A few grindings of black pepper
1/3 cup apple cider
1 cup dark chocolate covered ginger. (Or 1/4 cup chopped candied ginger & 3/4 cup bittersweet chocolate chips)
1. Cream the butter, sugar, vanilla and golden syrup together. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well in between.
2 Add all of the dry ingredients and mix well.
3 Add about 1/3 cup of cider. Till it’s a nice mixable batter consistency, but still quite thick.
4. Stir in the chocolate covered ginger.
5. Pour into a prepared (greased, floured, lined) 8 or 9 inch cake tin.
6. Bake at 375 for about 1/2 hour, till browned on top, and lightly springy to the touch.
7. Allow it to cool, then turn out and decorate however you like!