Here’s Tom Waits’ Eggs & Sausage and a Side of Toast, performed live on a TV show in 1976. And a very funny interview with him after. Look at everybody smoking!
1 batch paté brisée
1 medium butternut squash peeled and diced into 1/3-1/2 inch chunks
1/2 t. sage
1/2 t. rosemary
1/4 t. thyme
1 medium shallot
about 2 cups spinach, washed and chopped
1 clove garlic – finely diced
1/3 cup goat cheese
1-2 cups sharp cheddar
1/3 cup hazelnuts, toasted and finely chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 425. Spread the squash on a tray, mix with the spices and the shallot. Drizzle with enough oil to coat everything and mix it all together. Roast for about 1/2 hour till the squash starts to brown and carmelize
2. Warm a little olive oil add the garlic, before it browns add the spinach and sautée till the spinach is wilted.
3. Combine the spinach, squash, cheeses, and hazelnuts and season with plenty of freshly ground pepper and a little salt.
4. Beat the egg in a small bowl. Pour all about about 1T into the spinach/squash mixture.
5 Break the dough into two pieces. Roll them each into a long thin rectangle. About 5 inches across and the length of your pan.
7. Fold the wider side over and seal the edges. Crimp with a fork. Brush with beaten egg and move the whole rope to the baking sheet.
10. cut through and EAT!